NAF Human Resources
What is NAF?
Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) Employment. NAF employment is federal employment, but is not considered “Civil Service” employment. The difference between NAF employment and Civil Service employment is the manner in which positions are funded. Although there are similarities between the two systems, each is separate and distinct from the other and operates under its own personnel policies and procedures.
Civil Service positions are funded by congressional appropriations, and NAF is primarily funded by revenue generated by services activities including restaurants, bowling center, outdoor recreation, and more!
Laughlin Human Resources Office is responsible for all NAF job opportunities on Laughlin Air Force Base.
Employment opportunities typically exist in the following areas:
Accounting • Administrative • Cashier • Child Care • Customer Service • Food Service • Human Resources • Marketing • Recreation
Tips for landing an interview
- Tailor your resume.
Modify your resume to match the job in which you’re applying for. Include all of your previous experience that directly relates to the position, and explain why you’re the perfect candidate for the job. Looking for a career change? Let us know! Include the reason for the switch in your resume so we better understand why you’d be the perfect fit for the position.
- Check for errors.
Make sure your resume is free of all spelling and grammatical errors.
- Ensure contact information is correct.
Please update your resume to include a phone number and email address in which hiring managers can reach you to schedule an interview.
How to Apply
- Create an account at USAJOBS.gov. Navigate to all active Laughlin Air Force Base NAF job announcements by using the search function. Type "NAF” in the search bar and use the location “Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas.”
- Upload all required documents. While a resume is required for consideration, candidates must also upload the documents necessary to verify any claimed preferences. The candidate’s name must be written on the documents and the documents must be legible. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in loss of preference consideration for any corresponding applications.
- Remain accessible after submission. Please be sure to regularly check the email address in which your USAJOBS account was created. Selected applicants receive a tentative offer via email with a link that expires 48 hours thereafter. Failure to respond within 48 hours will be considered a declination and your application status will be updated accordingly.
NAF Employment Eligibility & Restrictions
- Must be 16 years of age
- Authorized permanent residents (Proof of citizenship or authorization to work documentation must be presented prior to hiring)
- Some positions have minimum age requirements of 18 and 21
- Current full time civil service (GS/Appropriated) employees are prohibited from NAF employment. Dual Employment restrictions do not allow an employee to receive compensation from more than one civilian office or position of the Government of the United States for more than an aggregate of 40 hours of work in any one calendar week. Exception: US Postal Service Positions.
- Appropriated fund employees who retired after 30 Mar 94 with an incentive offer are restricted from NAF employment for a period of five years unless the incentive is returned.
- Former active duty military members who separated on or after 1 Oct 94 and received Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay (VSIP) or Special Separation Benefits (SSB) will forfeit benefits if hired within 180 days of separation.